Thursday, March 02, 2006

The Ring Modulator - the first post

So this is the first post - a random start to this blog. I'm not entirely sure what direction the blog will go in. I'm really into playing and listening to jazz now and have been for since last summer.

I guess I've had an interest for a long time but I'm pursuing it very actively, almost obsessively now. I guess this started following a trip to the North Wales Jazz Guitar Workshop last summer. I went the year before as well. When I went last year I didn't feel that I'd moved on at all from the year befoew and I left determined to do something about it. I've now got a jazz guitar going with a guitar teacher friend Paul O'Hagan and we play at pubs in the Stockport area.

Anyway, I've learnt a hell of a lot in the last 7-8 months. I'll be getting lessons soon from a fanatastic Manchester based guitarist called Mike Walker whose played with some of the greats such as Dave Holland. I also attended a jazz weekend locally and got to play with one of my all time favourite drummers Luke Flowers from the fantastic band, The Cinematic Orchestra. The photo below is from the jazz weekend. I'm the guy with the finger almost stuck up his nose. Mike Walker has his back to you conducting and Luke Flowers is to my left with the stripey shirt.

I think this blog will be about my musings on how my jazz education and gigging goes. I've got stuff to say about the Manchester Jazz jam scene but I'll save that for another post. Enough for now I think.

No comments: